Working to build a fashionable wardrobe on a budget of $200 per month...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Blog Review: Young, Fat, & Fabulous

Have you been thinking about the so-called "curvy" model controversy? With my sisters, myself and my mother, there are four girls in all living at my house, and the issue has definitely come up around the dinner table. The questions we've discussed involve whether catalogs should use "regular" women as models for their clothes, whether designers should use curvier models on the runway, and the definition of "plus-sized" and "curvy" in the fashion world today.

While I think I prefer to see designer clothes, and clothes in general, modeled on very thin models - giving me a blank canvas to help me appreciate the designer's art so to speak - I have at the same time a problem with the fact that the fashion world would call a normal body imperfect, a curvy woman fat, etc. What do these words mean? Would I be considered merely imperfect, curvy, plus-sized? The size of the vocabulary necessary to navigate the world of fashion makes the head spin.

Yesterday I discovered this fashion blog, Young, Fat, & Fabulous (via WORN). And let me tell you, Gabi has the right attitude and taught me volumes in the first few minutes of reading her posts. First of all, she throws the confusing body-image vocabulary out the window, replacing it with an acceptance with and love for the body one has been given in life. One thing in particular that she said really got me thinking and exemplifies her awesome attitude, so I thought I would share it here:

I still have friends who call themselves fat to get others to argue that they aren’t - something else I refuse to do. Be warned: if you call yourself fat, I’ll probably just agree with you, even if you’re a size 4. Because, what’s fat, anyway?

Too true.

Anyway, hop on over and take a look at her site. Add it to your Google Reader. Not only does this gal have a fabulous fashion philosophy, but the fashion sense I wish I had!

No comments:

Post a Comment