Working to build a fashionable wardrobe on a budget of $200 per month...

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Inspiration: Vintage Photos

I have many, many blogs on my Google Reader under the heading of “Fashion Inspiration”, and the list grows week-by-week. When I post about these blogs here, I am trying to cover various styles and aesthetics. Hopefully you will find something from which you can draw inspiration and ideas.

For today: Shorpy Historic Photo Archives. Not every photo posted here has people in it (and I love old photos even without people!) but the ones that do are absolutely golden.

How do you draw inspiration from such photos without going completely vintage? Pull elements from outfits. For example, men could imitate the three-piece suit or – even better! - the shirt collars that I adore. Ladies could easily adopt the fur above (faux fur, if you like) or the adorable little hat she wears so confidently. Just a few things to keep an eye out for when you go secondhand shopping: don’t simply pass over that “old fashioned” $3 blouse or pair of shoes will an eye-roll. Pick it up and imagine the possibilities.

Back in January, the Sartorialist discussed the charm of historic/old photographs too. (I know, I know, I am always talking about Scott’s blog…but it is amazing!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment