Working to build a fashionable wardrobe on a budget of $200 per month...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Stripes and Dots

Normally sensible about these kinds of things, Ann Taylor LOFT is telling us that stripes and dots are “two playful patterns that look pretty on their own – and surprisingly stylish together” and that “opposites attract”. More notable, however, is that none of their models on the flyer I received in the mail are wearing stripes *and* dots – only one or the other. For me, stripes and dots are too reminiscient of scrapbooking (great if you are a scrapbooker!) or the nursery, ALTHOUGH I am perfectly willing to be proven wrong if someone can find a nice combo of the two.

Another combo gnawing at my brain these days is the Fall-Winter ‘09 trend of shorts and tights. I resisted with all my might because I thought it too trendy, but now all the shorts are on the sale racks and I happened to try on a pair of Alpine-ish wool ones with tights a few weeks back. I actually really liked them and loved how I could have shown off my legs all winter long and remained modest at the same time. Oh well – could’ve, would’ve, should’ve. Too late to ride the trend now.

A rule when it comes to trends: you need to buy trends new (hopefully with coupons!). By the time they are on sale, they are usually ridiculously silly-looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment