Working to build a fashionable wardrobe on a budget of $200 per month...

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

MLK Day Shopping

On Monday, I convinced my mother and sisters to do my favorite leisure activity: shopping! First, we went to Anthropologie.

Pros of the store:

1. Awesome place for fashion inspiration and the chance to try new trends. Raid the sale racks and try on a variety of things to see what you like on yourself.

2. Their clothes are very expensive full-price but they are fairly generous when it comes to sales.

Cons of the store:

1. The clothes are not structured, so they do not work on all body types.

2. Everything is displayed beautifully, to best influence you to buy *everything*. You must resist this urge.

Anyway, after trying on four or five things from the sale rack and taking note of brand names/sizes for future eBay reference (more on eBay shopping another time), I came upon this lovely belt…

I have been in the market for a wide belt for a couple years. A caution for short (& possibly squat) people: if you are going to wear a wide belt, make sure you are wearing a long tunic or dress to lengthen your frame and counteract the belt.

I bought the 100% leather belt for $10.49 including tax. Score!

Later, my mum and I swung by Value Village, a huge secondhand store. The store is dirty and the merchandise requires a discerning eye – if the employees even remotely recognize a label (e.g. Ann Taylor) they have the habit of WAY overpricing secondhand clothes – but shopping there is quite an adventure and I have found many treasures.

Today I found two handpainted 1-inch pinback brooches: one from Russia and the other from Poland (?) that would look lovely on a purse or lapel. I bought them: 2 ($3.45 ea.) + 50% off on federal holidays + tax = $4.15. Score!

[I will try to post a pic of the pins later.]

Current budget: $200 – 10.49 for the belt – 4.15 for the pins = $185.36

No comments:

Post a Comment